I’m ready for Fall with a Charm leaf tutorial

20120924_999_9
I’ve been wearing varying shades of brown nail polish for the last few weeks in anticipation of FALL! I just love the change of the seasons. After living in Arizona for so long and having only a long summer and short cool-ish season, I just love anything that changes. I find myself excited for whatever season is next.
I had this lovely charm pack from Sandy Gervais. I love leaves and thought I needed to magically turn the charm pack into leaves.
I sat down with my notebook and came up with this. For each leaf you are going to need:
2 - off white 2 1/2” X 1 1/2” strips
6 – assorted printed 2 1/2” X 1 1/2” strips
1 – printed 2 1/2” X 2 1/2” square
1 – off white 2 1/2” X 2 1/2” square
6 – off white 1 1/2” X 1 1/2” squares
2 – off white diagonal pieces
1 – assorted printed 1 1/2” X 1 1/2” square for the very center

From one charm square you can cut 6 – 1 1/2” X 2 1/2” strips. Cut several and them mix them up if you want it sort of scrappy like I did them.

I made a template to cut the tip of the leaf. I drew a square that was 2 1/2” X 2 1/2”. I measured over from one corner 1 1/4” and 1/4” down and put a dot. Measure the adjoining corner the same way and put a dot. Diagonally in the corner, measure 1/4” in and put a dot. Connect the dots. With your ruler, add a 1/4” seam allowance. This kite shape is what you will cut your patterned 2 1/2” square with.
The second template is for the off white triangles. I drew the same basic shape out on a 2 1/2” square grid. This time, I used the bottom angled piece and added 1/4 seam allowance to it and cut it out. For each leaf tip piece, you need to cut two off white pieces of this shape.

If you have the Lazy Angle Ruler or the RECS Tool, this is the same shape as that.

Sew your sides on, press the seams and trim to size. Should finish at 2 1/2” square.

For the pointy strips, you are going to do the corner flip or snowball. Put the 1 1/2” off white square on top of a 1 1/2” X 2 1/2” strip. Sew diagonally. Cut off the corner piece. To make the V’s match nicely, it is helpful to press the seams in alternating directions. They will snug up nicely when you sew.

Lay it out and then sew the top row together. Press the seams open.

Sew the bottom right four pieces together and press open. Sew the right row together and press open. Sew the bottom two parts together and then add it to the top row. Press all seams open.

I hand stitched some stems in brown. I did them freehand ‘cause I like that. 20120924_999_18
It may be hard to tell, but I stitched an extra layer of batting down behind each leaf shape. I trimmed the excess off and then made the quilt sandwich. So the little leaves sort of have a little more dimension. I also chose a stipple to help make the leaves stand out.
20120924_999_8
20120924_999_15 
 20120924_999_13
I love it. It fits perfectly at the front of our TV console. All the TV gadgets sit at the back of the table.
 20120924_999_9
I still had some of the charm pack left, so I whipped up two little Irish Chain table toppers too.
 20120924_999_4
Again, I chose a tight stipple to make the patterned fabric stand out. I really like dimension in my small projects. And I just love to stipple. I don’t know if it makes me strange, but it is so calming for me to do.
20120924_999_2
My sons even remembered the name of the design to tell their daddy when he got home from work. I love when my family gets into my creations.
Happy Fall!

I'm linking



 

Gwenny Penny - Point of View